The Cosmos



My Cosmos Theme:

I am thinking of drawing a cosmic tree, which will have its roots firmly in the earth but its branches stretching up to the heavens.

I am then going to have some music tracks from The Moody Blues Album Threshold of a Dream. This is followed by another drawing of a tree that has broken free of its earthly bonds and is floating in space.                                                           

                                                                                                              
                                





The Dream

The Moody Blues

When the white eagle of the North is flying overhead

And the browns, reds and golds of autumn lie in the gutter, dead

Remember then the summer birds with wings of fire flaying

Come to witness spring's new hope born of leaves decaying

As new life will come from death, love will come at leisure

Love of love, love of life and giving without measure

Gives in return a wondrous yearn of a promise almost seen

Live hand-in-hand, and together we'll stand on the threshold of a dream


Songwriters: Graeme Edge

For non-commercial use only.                                                 











Sketches of tree with roots firmly in the ground. Done with different filters





Tree hand floating in space after escaping the confines of the Earth.








Hand tree

















Barry Eden 1150023836    

   

Cosmos Statement 

 

My project is based on a cosmic tree. First, I will draw a hand-come tree with the roots firmly in the earth; the branches will be reaching up trying to grasp the heavens. This, I find, is a very human-like reaction because we, as people with our limited lifetimes, know we cannot traverse the cosmos in a single life, but we still yearn to do it. My second drawing will be a hand –tree which has broken free of its earthly bonds and is drifting in space towards the unknown, again I find very human-like, as the unknown still excites humankind. Most of my ideas have come from the sixty's hippy generation and trippy Moody Blues album covers, Threshold of a Dream being the main one. I feel that the hippy movement owes a lot to the native American culture, as both are very spiritual. For my final piece of work, I will make a clay hand with the fingers turning into tree branches and tendrils coming out of the wrist like the roots of a tree. 

Ideally, I would have liked this to be floating in space, but I must admit to struggling with the concept of how to suspend it. So, I am going to settle for a plinth to display it. I would like

 the drawings on a wall with the tree-hand on a plinth in front of them. The inspiration for my final artefact came from the Moody Blues album cover Threshold of a Dream. So I am going to call my final piece of work “Yearning for the Dream”. I have resprayed the work and set it against a black background; I think it makes it more like it's in space.









 

 



Comments